Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 1 - Manuks new sleep routine

Wel, I am going to keep track of how this goes because I think it is both good for me to get this off my chest and if any other mothers read this they will know that someone else is in the same boat.
I want to start of by saying that Manuk has been a great sleeper from day 1. He has been in his own bed (when we have had one) and in his own room (again, when we have had one) pretty much from the beginning. Then about a month or so ago he started not sleeping very well, wakin gup lots in the night and not falling alseep unless he was in our arms. Once we would put him down he would wake up and the only way for us to get any sleep at all was to bring him into bed with us. Bad habit to get into.
We made the decision, now that he was feeling better and getting over his ear infection, to move him back to his own bed and try and get him to stay there all night long. Harder than one might think. I first wrote to a few cousins who gave me some much appreciated advice. It is so hard to hear your baby scream and not know weather to go in and get him or not. I hate to think that he is crying himself to sleep and he would get so worked up that I don't think he would have been able to sleep even if he was super tired. I really appreciated hearing back from my cousins about their experiences and we have decided to give it another go. Here is how it is going . . .
DAY 1,
Well, we decided that it ws the day to try. Jacko is not working nights now so we are around to support each other. We also realised that we bought a new matress (finally) and we don't want Manuk to get used to our matress (which we get on Saturday) because we want it all to ourselves. LOL.
We got Manuk wound down and put him in bed. After a few minutes we woke up and realised that he was no longer in our arms. SCREAMED !!!!! We left him about 10 minutes then went up to say that we loved him but he had to sleep. Got him down again, for about 20 minutes, then he was up screaming again. After a few times we got him to sleep until about 2 am. At 2 he woke up and was awake, wnating to play. We could not get him down again and gave in and brought him into bed with us. I know, I know, big mistake. But, in my defense, you don't really think too clearly at 2 am when you have not really slept yet. All you are thinking is, can I still get 2 or 3 hours of seep if he comes o bed with us and you think, "yes, I can". Little did we know that, no, we couldn't. He has gotten so big that he is hitting us in the face and kicking us in the bum. Even though he is asleep, Jacko and I aren't really. The next morning, I read a few email s from my cousin and decude to give it another try the next night. It's funny too, since I have been thinking about this, 2 or 3 days or so, I have been receiveing all these parting email (from a weekly email I get) and they are all about sleep habits and ideas. Well, we are up for the day so I will let you know how day 2 went

No comments: